We’re often asked about the advantages of design-build over the conventional system of architect and general contractor. It’s a great question and with over a decade of design-build experience under our belts, we feel like it’s a good time to call out our top ten reasons why the design-build system is so good. Bringing in an experienced architect, Ashli Slawter of Ashli Slawter Architecture, and a master craftsman and builder, Brian Shackelford of Marcel Builders, your project will run smoothly from start to finish.
1. Everybody is on the same team: We’re all in this together and we all have the same goal –to arrive at a successful project that meets or exceeds the client’s expectations for their project. When challenges are encountered on a project (and there are always challenges), pointing fingers is not an option, everyone rolls up their sleeves and works on solutions.
2. Total accountability: One entity is accountable for everything –including how the end result looks, how much it costs and the timeline of completion. When the same group that designs the project also builds the project, there tends to be much more attention given to pricing and scheduling in the design phase. The cost of everything is taken into account early on in the process; all fees, construction costs, utilities, landscaping allowances –everything.
Unfortunately, it’s not unusual for us to hear from people that “their remodel cost twice as much as the architect said it would” –such a scenario is entirely unacceptable in the design-build world. Design-build focuses on results, not excuses.
3. Continuity: A design-build firm is involved from start to finish, which adds an inherent efficiency. The chance for things to fall through the cracks is greatly diminished.
4. Expertise: Design-build firms are experts in both fields. The principals should be licensed architects with formal architectural training and experience in the architecture field. They should also have professional experience in construction and understand pricing, sequencing and how buildings go together. If they’re anything like us, they have professional structural engineering experience to boot.
In the new economy we’re noticing architects trying a bit too hard to look like design-build operations without having any field training. Likewise, we’ve raised our eyebrows at a few general contractors who claim to, all the sudden, be accomplished designers.
There is a tremendous advantage to working with architects that can think like builders and builders who can think like architects, but design-build is a commitment, something you dedicate yourself to for an entire career –not just when it’s convenient.
5. Professional guides: We’ve all heard the stories that design and construction can get out of hand and messy. Design and construction shouldn’t be chaotic or stressful. A design-build firm is a beacon to clients throughout the process, guiding the way to the best possible outcome. Design-build refines a system from beginning to end and manages the chaos into orderly steps.
Schöne Kitchen Design strives to deliver an exceptional experience, craftsmanship, and client happiness. Stop by and see us at 33 N Ft. Thomas Ave. Studio 100,Fort Thomas, KY. Showroom Hours are Tuesday to Friday, 10-2 or by appointment. Or feel free to give us a call at 859-516-8420.